Are you ready to have your pre-baby body back but discouraged that your diet and exercise efforts haven’t been effective? Or, have you lost a significant amount of weight only to find you have excess, loose skin that hasn’t “tightened up” with time? In either situation, it’s common to have skin that has been pushed past its elasticity limit and can no longer bounce back.
While liposuction can remove excess fat around the waistline and lower abdomen, it cannot remedy excess skin or weak muscles that allow your abdomen to bulge. At Southern Surgical Arts, we frequently combine liposculpture with a tummy tuck procedure, so that we can address lax skin and weak muscles with surgery, as well as create more beautiful contours via liposuction. The result is a beautiful, post-pregnancy or weight loss body that anybody would be proud to show off.
Keep reading to learn five signs that a tummy tuck might be appropriate for you.
- Loose abdominal muscles. If your abdominal muscles seem resistant to exercise and are no longer providing the support you need, a tummy tuck surgery can address this problem. A skilled cosmetic surgeon can separate the layers of skin and fat from the muscle and then pull the muscles together at the midline, creating tighter, firmer muscles and a flatter stomach.
- Extreme skin laxity and excess fat. If your skin has little to no elasticity left, you will likely need a tummy tuck to improve its appearance. Once skin has become lax and “stretched out,” even removing any fat behind it will not fix the situation. Skin laxity is not only caused by the stretching that occurs during pregnancy, it also can occur in people who have lost significant weight via dieting or gastric bypass. Tummy tucks are not just for mommies, but for anyone who has excess skin and fat—including men.
- Still wearing maternity clothes months (or years) after giving birth. Celebrities’ careers depend on getting their pre-baby bellies back in record time, but that’s just not realistic for most of us. However, if after a year of dieting and exercise you haven’t seen any improvement and find wearing non-maternity clothes uncomfortable, you might wish to discuss a tummy tuck with a skilled cosmetic surgeon. Additionally, if you have slimmed down considerably after dieting or bypass surgery, you may be frustrated that you have lost so many pounds only to find your clothing options are still limited. A tummy tuck can make a huge difference in how you look in your clothes (as well as out of them!)
- Significant stretch marks. Unfortunately, there is still no perfect solution for stretch marks. We can fade the color of new stretch marks significantly—and sometimes improve the texture of old ones—with devices like the Dermapen, but there is currently no treatment that can permanently erase them. However, if you have excess skin removed during a tummy tuck, most stretch marks will be removed as well. If there are any remaining stretch marks, they will likely be much lower on your abdomen where they are less visible. And, your beautiful new curves and sculpted muscles will draw attention away from them!
- Decreased body confidence. One of the best reasons to have a tummy tuck may simply be that you do not feel confident about yourself and body. Decreased self-confidence can negatively impact your personal life, your sex life, and how you interact with others at work and play. It’s important to look and feel your best, and it may be hard to do that if you are feeling self-conscious and less than secure in your appearance.
You might be a candidate for a tummy tuck if you are:
- Age 25 to 65
- Generally in good health
- Desire a flatter stomach, stronger abdominal muscles and a more beautiful, sculpted waistline
The surgery is available for both men and women.
A tummy tuck can greatly boost your body-confidence and comfort, especially when performed by a qualified cosmetic surgeon with the ability to balance technique and artistry to achieve the most beautiful results. Dr. Carey Nease and Dr. Chad Deal are award-winning, board-certified cosmetic surgeons who have performed more than 700 tummy tuck procedures.
To learn more about tummy tucks and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure, please contact our office at 423-266-3331 to schedule a FREE personal consultation.