In talking with our patients here at Southern Surgical Arts, we’ve learned that, while many women are interested in cosmetic genital surgery, few feel comfortable introducing the topic. Some women may feel too embarrassed to ask about labiaplasty, a corrective surgery to change the contours of the labia majora (outer labia) and the labia minora (the inner labia).
There is no need to be embarrassed about discussing these procedures, however. We perform them routinely, and they are increasing in popularity nationwide. According to the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, there was a 44% increase in vaginal rejuvenation procedures from 2012 to 2013.
Please keep reading to learn five important facts about labiaplasty.
- Labiaplasty is not just about appearance. Ideally, the inner labia should not protrude past the outer labia because it can cause discomfort during sex and exercise and in clothing such as leggings or other tight pants.
- Labiaplasty not only corrects the inner labia, it can also restore (or create) fullness in the outer labia for a more youthful appearance. A skilled, board-certified cosmetic surgeon can achieve beautiful, natural results in this area by injecting a patient’s own fat to achieve fullness.
- Labiaplasty is not just for moms. Although we commonly perform this procedure for moms, due to the stretching that occurs during pregnancy and childbirth, many of our patients are simply dissatisfied with the shape they were born with.
- Labiaplasty can be done under a IV sedation in about an hour, there is little to no scarring and pain is minimal. This procedure can be combined with other procedures such as vaginal tightening. You may experience swelling for about 2-4 weeks after the surgery, and you must wait a full month to allow yourself time to heal before resuming sexual activity.
- Labiaplasty does not negatively affect sexual sensation. In fact, many women report increased comfort during sex after the inner labia are “trimmed.”
If you are interested in a cosmetic vaginal rejuvenation, please do not be shy! Our award-winning, board certified cosmetic surgeons, Dr. Carey Nease and Dr. Chad Deal, would be happy to discuss your questions in detail during a complimentary consultation. Please call our office at 423-266-3331 to schedule an appointment.