According to statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, rhinoplasty, or nose reshaping, has been the #2 most popular cosmetic surgery for the past five years. Rhinoplasty is popular among both men and women because it can be a significant change for the better on just about any face. Thanks to advancements in technology and surgical technique, today’s “nose jobs” are virtually undetectable and blend naturally with your other facial features.
We have performed more than 600 rhinoplasty procedures here at Southern Surgical Arts. During that time, we have noticed several common motivations for patients to seek out a nose reshaping procedure.
Based on what we’ve heard from our patients, you might consider a rhinoplasty if:
- You’ve always wanted a smaller/straighter/more refined nose. This is a common complaint among our patients. Many of them have been dissatisfied with the shape, size, or profile of their nose since their teen years. For these patients, a reduction in the size of their nose or refinement of the tip does a lot to boost their self-confidence.
- Your nose was broken and never regained its original appearance. With today’s active lifestyles, it’s no surprise that we see a lot of noses that were broken once and did not heal as attractively as desired. Rhinoplasty done for this reason can restore a once-loved nose back to its original beauty—or even better!
- You had a previous rhinoplasty and were dissatisfied with the results. Sadly, this is fairly common. Whether because the surgeon did not have enough experience or overpromised on the results, the patient changed their mind over time, or the nose healed poorly, we have seen many patients who seek help to remedy a bad rhinoplasty. Fortunately we can usually provide them with an improved appearance and satisfactory results.
- You have difficulty breathing through your nose. Nose procedures are not always performed solely due to aesthetics. Sometimes a patient experiences breathing trouble and is tired of feeling chronically congested, sleeping poorly, and snoring due to a deviated septum or enlarged turbinates. The interior structure of the nose can be corrected by a qualified facial plastic surgeon. Some patients choose to beautify their nose at the same time that their surgeon corrects their breathing issue—two benefits in one surgery.
- You’ve seen a nose on someone else that would look attractive on your face. We have seen this motivation increasingly over the past few years. Some of the most commonly-requested noses belong to celebrities such as Kate Middleton, Kate Beckinsale and Scarlett Johannson. But it’s important to remember that no matter how beautiful a nose may look on someone else, it may not be the right shape or size to pair with your facial features. A good surgeon will be honest with you about what you can and should realistically expect.
Rhinoplasty surgery has the power to significantly impact your facial features. This can be a good thing, or a very bad one, depending on the skill, talent, and education of the surgeon you choose. Make sure you choose a board-certified cosmetic or facial plastic surgeon who has experience performing many of these procedures and can show you unretouched before and after photos.
Our before and after gallery can be viewed on our website at your convenience. Our board-certified, award-winning surgeon, Dr. Carey Nease, will be happy to discuss a rhinoplasty with you. To schedule a complimentary consultation, please call 423-266-3331.