- DO be realistic. Keep in mind that what looks best and feels the most comfortable for you may not be the super-plumped lips you see in magazines. You will be happiest with the outcome if you are realistic about what will work best with your current lip shape and size and surrounding facial features, including your teeth. Sometimes, less is more. Whether you choose to have the fullest pout possible, or ever-so-slightly plumper lips, the end result should be a more youthful, rejuvenated appearance that complements the rest of your face.
- DO your research and know your options. Do you want fillers, fat transfer, or permanent lip implants? Know the benefits and limitations of each one.
- Injectable dermal fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane are one of the most popular methods, as it is a minimally-invasive, quick procedure with results lasting 6-12 months. Fillers can improve the shape and volume of the lips, as well as smooth out fine lines caused by aging or smoking. While fillers are not permanent, this can be a good thing for a first-time patient because you will be able to gauge whether to go bigger or smaller in the future after you have “test-driven” your new smile for a few months.
- Fat transfer is quickly gaining popularity with cosmetic patients because it is all-natural, using fat harvested from unwanted areas like your thighs. Because the fat must first be harvested and processed, fat transfer takes a bit more time than fillers. Results typically last around three years.
- Silicone lip implants are an exciting new option in lip augmentation, providing permanent results that are also reversible if desired. Implants are a great option for someone who has enjoyed the look of fillers in the past but desires a more permanent solution. At Southern Surgical Arts, we use PermaLip®, an FDA-approved implant made of soft, solid silicone. To view some of our patients who have chosen implants, view our Before and After Gallery.
- DON’T choose a surgeon with limited experience in lip augmentations. When it comes to lip augmentations, the type of procedure you choose may not be as important as the technique of the surgeon performing it. You want a board-certified cosmetic or facial plastic surgeon who has done many lip augmentation procedures and who has an artistic touch—one who will be able to transform your lips in a way that works well with all of your features. Interview your prospective surgeons, asking them about their experience and review some of their before and after photos.
- DON’T hesitate to start small. If you want a fuller smile, but are not sure how big to go, how fast, consider starting with fillers first, and adding more in a few weeks or months to get to the profile you desire. This is a great way to dip your toes in the water and ensure a result you’ll love.
- DO consider complementary procedures. Rejuvenating your lips with fillers, fat transfer or implants will create a more youthful, rejuvenated appearance. This may be an ideal time to consider other procedures to promote a rested, beautiful appearance, such as laser resurfacing, fat transfer to other sites in the face such as the cheeks or tear troughs, or an eye lift.
If you’d like to learn more about your lip augmentation options, please call Southern Surgical Arts at 423-266-3331 for a free personal consultation. We will be happy to answer all of your questions and help you to choose the solution that best suits your desired outcome and lifestyle.