Recently, Southern Surgical Arts held a “Fall Faces” event featuring Ashley McAdoo of Southern Sqweeze, Chattanooga’s first all-natural, cold-pressed organic juice bar. Ashley presented an informational and inspiring session about how eating the right food is vital for beautiful skin and hair as well as good health.
If you’re like most of us, you’re gearing up for January with some healthy resolutions—goals like making more time for yourself, eating more healthily, losing weight, exercising, and simply living better overall in 2016. Keep reading for 15 of Ashley’s tips on how to help achieve your healthy goals for a more beautiful you in the New Year!
- Eat more fruits and veggies. This is true for just about any diet plan, health goal, or energy-boosting regimen out there. More fruits and veggies = more vitamins, minerals, and healthy fiber. Cruciferous veggies in particular (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts) are full of calcium, zinc, magnesium and powerful antioxidants. The insoluble fibers found in vegetables also help us to flush toxins.
- Cut down on animal products. Research continues to indicate that many types of meat and animal fats are harmful for your health, and some may even be carcinogenic.
- Drink a green drink or smoothie every day. The vitamins and minerals in your fresh ingredients will help to flush toxins, keep you hydrated, and give your skin a healthy glow.
- Pile on the pineapple. Pineapples contain bromelain, a naturally-occurring enzyme that breaks down proteins in your digestive system. Keeping digestion moving smoothly is vital for promoting glowing, healthy skin.
- Serve up papaya. Papaya is not only delicious; it also helps with digestion by adding healthy enzymes to improve digestion.
- Reduce bloat with asparagus. Got puffy eyes? Abdominal bloat? Add some asparagus. Along with fiber, it’s a great, natural diuretic for helping you flush out toxins and prevent water retention.
- Love your lemons. Adding lemon to your daily water intake boosts vitamin C and supports your liver health. It also makes water a bit more interesting, which will help you up your intake.
- Keep your hair shiny with super foods. Walnuts and chia sees are rich sources of omega-3s to keep your mane strong and shiny and encourage growth.
- Add almonds and avocado. Both of these delicious foods are loaded with vitamin E, healthy fats and antioxidants to keep your skin smooth, glowing and supple. They are also great for your heart, so you’ll be doing double-duty for your health every time you eat them.
- Get crazy for coconut. Coconut oil has so many healthy skin and hair benefits. You can use oil for a natural skin moisturizer and for a rich hair mask. Try using it in your cooking where possible to maximize the health benefits.
- Improve nail health with grains. Quinoa, millet, oats and buckwheat are all great sources of fiber, protein and carbs to keep your body healthy and your metabolism functioning well. These gluten-free grains are also loaded with minerals that improve nail and skin health and boost collagen production.
- Drink up. Make sure you are getting at least 8 glasses of purified water every day for maximum hydration, and to flush toxins and impurities. If you’re exercising heavily, you may need even more than the recommended 8 glasses.
- Eat the rainbow. Consume as many colorful foods for variety and maximum mineral and vitamin impact as possible (Skittles, while colorful and fruit-flavored, do not count).
- Remember your skin protection. Even if you don’t think you’ll be out in the sun long, never forget to apply your SPF. Sun damage sneaks up on us in unexpected ways--don’t forget the sunroof on your car!
- Sweat! One of the best things you can do for your overall health, your heart, your beauty, your energy level, your state of mind is…exercise! A great way to detoxify and beautify is to MOVE. Whether you try hot yoga, running, hiking, or good old cardio on a treadmill, moving more leads to better circulation, glowing skin, and healthier hearts and organs. If you do just one thing in the New Year to boost your health and beauty, MOVE MORE.
Check out Ashley’s delicious concoctions at Southern Sqweeze and make healthy, organic juice part of your “New Year, New You” regimen.
Keep an eye on our blog for information on how to keep your heart healthy, with tips on maximizing your movement every day. We’ve already covered how you can improve your nutrition choices to improve your cardiac health—read that post here.
From all of us to all of you, Happy (Healthy) New Year!