Aging is inevitable. There is no proverbial fountain of youth that can stop the aging process, but this does not mean that you can’t fight wrinkles, lines and sagging skin that goes along with the aging process. There are ways to age gracefully without constantly worrying about the lines and wrinkles on your face and neck.
Here are 6 tips for making the most of aging that also will help you reduce the visible effects of aging.
1. Keep Your Mind Busy: Revel at the wisdom you have accumulated over the years rather than dwelling on how old you have become. Focus on other things to keep your mind busy and enhance your mental abilities. You can opt to learn a new language for example. If you enjoy solving crossword puzzles, take time out on a daily basis to work on crossword puzzles. These activities will keep your mind alert and make you feel good about achieving and accomplishing something new every day.
2. Get Adequate Sleep: Sleep is very important, not just for resting your body and mind, but also for repairing your body. It is during sleep that your body repairs all the damage it sustains during waking hours. Try to get about 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night, so that you feel refreshed and rested to tackle the day ahead. Inadequate sleep can worsen certain health issues, such as heart problems and depression. Also lack of adequate sleep can make you irritable.
3. Spend Time with Friends: There is nothing like spending meaningful time with friends and enjoying memorable moments in their company. Aging is not about giving up your social life. Instead, you should make a conscious effort to be in the company of friends to unwind and relax yourself. You can also join local senior community groups to widen your network of friends. Try to spend time with those people who make you feel happy and cheerful.
4. Makeup: As your skin begins to age, there are some things you should avoid using. These include foundation and powdery makeup. You can still look glamorous and beautiful with minimal makeup. Stick to using makeup like eyeliner, lip gloss and mascara. This will make you look elegant and fulfill your desire to don makeup without appearing to garish or ‘made up’.
5. Hydration: Aging skin can feel dry and itchy. You can alleviate this feeling by keeping your body well hydrated. This also will help have soft and supple skin. Also , look to consume about 8 glasses of water every day. And, cut down on your caffeine and alcohol consumption, as caffeinated and alcoholic drinks are dehydrating.
6. Eating Healthy: An important aspect of aging is keeping your body as healthy as possible. You should be looking to consume a balanced diet comprising of fresh fruits, lots of veggies and healthy fats. Give up eating red meat and focus more on fish that has more heart-friendly vitamins. Fish also is replete with essential fatty acids that help in regulating blood pressure, promoting the healthy functioning of the brain and nervous system and are important ingredients in repairing cells.
Crow’s feet are one of the consequences of constant squinting of the eyes when going out in the sun. Make sure you wear sunglasses and use sunscreen when stepping out. Sun exposure is one of the contributors to premature aging.
As much as possible, avoid frowning. As strange as it may sound, frowning is one of the fastest ways to get permanent lines on your forehead, besides making you look unattractive. If you notice yourself frowning, immediately stop. Gradually, you will overcome this habit.
If you still have doubts or queries about aging gracefully, you can consult our highly experienced and professional aestheticians or board-certified cosmetic surgeons. They would be happy to guide you on how to handle different skin issues that crop up as the skin ages and also suggest a skin care regimen to reduce visible signs of aging. Southern Surgical Arts focuses 100% on cosmetic surgery and aesthetic medicine,and we use the latest technology to minimize downtime and scarring.